In 2013 several groups joined forces to create Real Port Hearings to ensure that we have a transparent, public repository of comments to decision-makers on the proposal to export US thermal coal from Fraser Surrey Docks-Texada Island.
To date the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority and the provincial government have not adequately responded to public concerns or engaged in meaningful consultation on the risks to health and the environment from this proposal to export US thermal coal from Metro Vancouver.
Scroll down to see public comments sent to the Port and Fraser Surrey Docks in response to the proposed coal permit amendment. Directly below, a summary of previous expressions of opposition to this project.
Metro Vancouver opposes US coal port on the Fraser River, details here.
Public expressions of opposition to coal port on Fraser River:
Read the June 2015 open letter opposing a US coal port in Surrey here.
- Review the +3000 signatories to the letter here, and the organizations endorsing the letter here.
- Watch a video showing Paula Williams of Communities and Coal delivering the letter to Fraser Surrey Docks CEO Jeff Scott at the Port Authority AGM here.
Public comments to BC government on the project here.
Concerns about waste water permit application to Metro Vancouver:
Public comments on coal port waste water permit here.
Detailed critiques of the Waste Water permit application:
- Communities and Coal, Voters Taking Action on Climate Change (2014)
- Fraser Riverkeeper
- Communities and Coal, Voters Taking Action on Climate Change (2015).
Public comments on coal port EIA here.
Other critiques of the coal port EIA here.
Members of the BC legislature who support action on the issue:
- Liberal caucus calls for transparent health impact assessment (HIA) of coal port expansion, done in consultation with public Health Authorities: Letter.
- NDP caucus supports call for independent HIA of coal export expansion. Letter.
- Green Party MLA Andrew Weaver calls on government to show leadership on thermal coal exports. Blog post.
- Independent MLA Vicki Huntington calls on Port Authority to commit to independent HIA. Letter.
Expert Critiques of the Permit Amendment Application
- Dr. Tim Takaro, SFU Faculty of Health Sciences
- Dr. Andre Sobolewski, Impact Assessment and Water Treatment Specialist
- Fraser Riverkeeper
Over 2000 comments from US citizens opposed to this project here.